Wednesday 21 April 2010

A Welcome Visitor

There I was, partway through typing up my latest blog entry and listening to Ted Nugent, when there was a knock on the door. This was slightly disconcerting, as I wasn't expecting visitors (I never do, due to being a loner with few friends).

My first thought was that it was the bailiffscum, but it's too early for them - I haven't fallen into arrears with my council tax payments yet.

Then I thought, maybe it's someone canvassing for the "Lib" Dems - a serious possibility, since they're targetting this area heavily.

It turned out to be a pleasant young guy who was working as a volunteer for Cancer Research UK. He asked me if I wanted to set up a weekly standing order to help finance gene therapy for cancer victims. It's not a treatment that I know much about, but apparently it has a good success rate without the serious side effects you get with chemotherapy. Cancer research and treatment is also a cause that I'm very strongly attached to, so I was happy to fill in the form to set up the SO. If you want to make a contribution yourself, why not visit their website?

I like meeting charity workers, it makes a refreshing change to talk to people who actually get out and do stuff to make the world a better place, as opposed to sitting around complaining that it's someone else's job (usually Nanny State) to get things done.

Some visitors are more welcome than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment